Sunday, March 19, 2006

Tragic Irony

Working on my Zen paper, I came across something pretty interesting. Though I'm quite rusty these days, William Mulholland and the various water scandals in California's coming of age have interested me for years. From the documentary series Cadillac Desert to the film China Town, it's just one of those things that sucks me in. I mean, how could any Woody Guthrie fan not have some interest in California? It's just an amazing place in history.

Notably... the St. Francis Dam disaster that killed over 400 people.

Now... I really don't have a clue which Saint Francis the dam was named after. But I can't help but find Saint Francis of Assisi morbidly appropriate. Among other things... he's the patron saint of the environment. Granted, he's not the patron saint of ecology or tree hugging, and shouldn't be confused as such, nor as someone who was vengeful, the little I've read about him still seems fitting in a roundabout sort of way.

High Rotation:

Sly & The Family Stone - Greatist Hits

The Velvet Underground and Nico - selftitled

Bob Dylan - Love and Theft

Charlie Parker and Miles Davis - Archive Recording

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen (really got to love the names he comes up with for his albums!)

Patti Smith - Horses

T-Rex - Electric Warrior

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home