Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Recently: about a black snake and other stuff.

Howdy...

Been awhile. I've not listened to much music. I haven't kept up with a lot of local happenings either. Still very excited about the LEC reunion though.

Mostly my days have been busy, busy, busy. Lot of post semester cleaning finally went down for real. Still a bit to go actually. Got a lot of outside work done, helping my sister, working at my job. It's been hot as hell lately and I've not really been equipped for it. Haven't slept much either. When I do settle down I mostly try to watch movies, but often sleep through them. There just hasn't been much mental activity of late beyond being goofy on my Neosamurai85 blog. Some day I should explain that silly name. It's a caricature of sorts though it wavers between me being a geek and me satirizing geeks.

The idea that I should write film reviews (serious ones... not the goofy Opossum stuff) part-time for one of the papers was impregnated into my head this weekend, but the reality that they are all well staffed nipped it in the bud pretty quickly. Kinda feel like that Paul Curreri song from his live album... which is a fantastic album by the way.

I caught a black snake today. He was hanging out at the goldfish pond. There are three things that people tend to forget to mention about blacksnakes.

1) They smell very bad.
2) They have ticks.
3) The big ones are usually pretty chill and the young-ins are vicious little bastards.

Actually the one I had was about thirty inches long and surprisingly chill. Big ones are five to seven feet. I've never seen a seven-footer, but Tim says they exist. I guess he'll have to have me over next time he finds one. (Sounds like my kind of wrangling!) Anyway, I'm sure the dip in the cool water helped mellow him out a bit. He did get feisty for a moment, but that was my fault. I mucked up for a second. People were watching and that makes me nervous. I'm decent with snakes. Had a few pets growing up and would catch them all the time. When I was about ten I caught a five-foot black on my dad's land and horrified my mother when she came to pick me up. The only time I was ever bitten was when some people were watching me and I couldn't focus.

Fortunately, as I said this little guy was pretty chill. Smelt a bit but no ticks were sighted. I took him off in the woods and let him go by a rotten log. Didn't even need to hold him by the neck at that point. Snakes rule!

That's all I'm up for tonight.

Take it easy.

11 Comments:

Blogger Tea Freak said...

I didn't know black snakes could have ticks. Hmm. You learn something new every day.
A snake's temperament sounds like that of person's. Festy young ones. Laid back older ones.

M.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Tea Freak said...

I didn't know black snakes could have ticks. Hmm. You learn something new every day.
A snake's temperament sounds like that of person's. Festy young ones. Laid back older ones.

M.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Tea Freak said...

Oh. Opps. I didn't know you had to approve what I said and then it would be posted. I was wondering why it wasn't showing up. Sorry about the extra posting stuff! Like I said before, you learn something new every day!

M.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Tea Freak said...

YOU KNOW GREG KELLY?!!
oh.
Tee hee! I'm posting to much.

M.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Cory Capron said...

Howdy Tea Freak!

Yup. Was holding a four foot black snake once and noticed his scales were moving. I HATE TICKS.

Yeah, I'm thinking about rigging up something different for posting so people don't have that problem. There are other ways to avoid spam after all.

Oh yeah. Greg used to teach at LEC. Great guy. Gave me a book of Ginsbergs journals once. Really great guy. Need to catch up with him sometime. (note to self: E-mail GREG)

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are all bonkers, and I love you (in obviously different ways . . .)
ZOMBIE SNAKES!!!
Love,
Anna

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ticks are nasty. Expecially when they fall off a dog and you step on them.

You have very strange friends. Thought you ought to know . . .;)
Love,
Me

12:45 AM  
Blogger Cory Capron said...

I love how post come in bursts.

Now... are "Love, Anna" and "Love, Me" different people. Cause I'm totally having a Single White Femal moment here. :P

8:30 AM  
Blogger Cory Capron said...

...Which is a movie. That might not be as well known as it was in the 90s. Or maybe it is... I can't keep up you crazy teens and what's cool.

Get off my lawn!

:P

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am that I am!
*laughing*
The Anna/Me

12:35 PM  
Blogger Cory Capron said...

Ah... good...

Because being stabbed in the eye with a high-heel shoe dosn't do it for me. I mean to each their own... but no.

:P

Love ya too. (and the peanut gallery goes AWWWWW!)

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home