Thursday, October 19, 2006

"Little Big Minds" website is up!

The website for Marietta McCarty's new book, Little Big Minds: Sharing Philosophy with Kids, is up and running. Check it out.

Taking Marietta's classes PVCC has always been a pleasure for me. The nature of philosophy is such that the logical structure of essays is not always the best medium, and she was aware of that. Between Ethics, Existentialism and Eastern Thinking, I believe I only wrote one essay. Everything else that I turned in was an art project of some form. Short stories, a painting, poetry, experimental prose, and book of lyrics were all alternatives I was allowed to do instead of essays. It was a lot of freedom and because I was given that level of trust not to just bring in a stick and declare it Zen, I felt compelled to crank out works of higher quality than was even necessary.

I know people who've had a real front row seat for the making of this book, so I'm not going to say I'm one of them. I did get a pretty good deal on the general admission though, so I'm glad to see it winding up and the paper soaking up ink. Marietta and her assistant, Amy, worked their butts off on this to meet deadlines without affecting the quality. Taking Eastern Thinking at the time I kept track of the progress, and never once heard her say she wasn't happy with a chapter that she sent out.

For most of my childhood and teens I felt that youths were underestimated. Granted, there are some pretty dumb kids out there, or at least kids that do dumb things. Still as a whole I thought at the time and still believe that one big edge children have over adults is that their minds are a clean slate. They do see things differently than adults because not only are they naive (as people love to point out way too much), but they are not cynical and bogged down by certain trains of thought that adults have been conditioned to. Nothing can affect change better than a fresh set of eyes. So I'm glad to see a book out that recognizes that.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Dark Lady said...

good timing, considering our conversation last night.:)
Huzzah for Prof. McCarty!!!

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cory!! !

I must go tell Marietta that she's on a blog now...

-Aimie

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Lesley Donaghy said...

I would Love to comment on "Little big Minds". The website does not seem to be allowing me to. Here is my input:
As a teacher candidate and a lover of philosophy, this work has acted as a catalyst for me to integrate philosophy and philosophical concepts into my own classroom. Although I have considered practicing philosophy with older students, I now realize the potential benefits of introducing philosophy to children of all ages. I would recommend Little Big Minds to anyone who is interested in enriching young minds by developing and encouraging the spark and intrigue that is created through a child’s ability to question. By encouraging philosophical thinking at a young age, more children will be inclined to relish in their own inquisitions and continually ask the question why throughout their adult lives. -Lesley, Bac of Ed student,University of Ottawa

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home