Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Where to go from here?

This might be a two-part entry because my mind started to wander before I could get everything I wanted to address down. I came to a good stopping point and took it. Normally I'd just save it and come back later, but I'm not sure how busy I'm going to be in this post-Chirstmas-approaching-New-Years period, between work and still not (but working on it!) managing to visit zee girlfriend's folks. So here it is and if the other stuff lingers I'll bellyache about that as well later.

The dust is finally starting to settle from Christmas around the house. It was a pretty hectic one this year. We had a lot of people over on the days leading up to Christmas. Culminating in an 18 people dinner on Christmas night. I'm not meaning to complain at all. Still, I can't deny savoring today's relative silence. It's nice to be able to sit down and write again. Getting back into fiction has been on my to do list for a while now. There are a rather intimidating number of unfinished projects to choose from but I'm starting to narrow it down. Right now I'm looking at some notes for a novel, a short story to be expanded into a novella and another short story that has one finished draft in need of editing and a rewritten ending. A few other short stories and novels in various states of development are pulling on my coat as well, but for now I'm going to try and work on those three projects. Ah, the joys of ADD.

As for blogging... I've obviously been a little slow in getting back to it. The problem is that I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I started this blog for three reasons. First off, friends that I discuss philosophical ideas with encouraged me to. They felt it would be a good medium for that sort of thing. The second reason was for communication. College has simultaneously allowed me to make new friends while at the same time made it more difficult to keep in touch with older ones. So having a space where people can keep up with what's happening in my life seemed like a good way to avoid spending all of the little time I do find with them catching up on the trivial events of the several months between last seeing them. The third reason for the blog was to keep me engaged in things happening in Charlottesville's music scene. With my generation almost all graduated from LEC, my band dissolved, and half my favorite hangouts closed or drastically changed, I found myself drifting away from that space which had felt like an important part of my life for so long. With my grandmother beginning to need round the clock attention, going to hang out without and notable reason simply became illogical. Blogging about music became a way to keep track of the artists I liked and support former band mates and friends when they had gigs. It helped me hold on to a little bit of that scene.

Those were basically the reasons for the blog in the beginning. Things changed gears pretty drastically though as I became involved in opposing the Marshall-Newman Amendment. Some friends from the last semester had graduated or moved, and though I there haven't been any partings on bad terms that I'm aware of, the blog became clearly less direct in who I was writing for. It was also flirting with becoming a full on political blog, which would seems about as uncharacteristic of me as I would have imagined. Still that was what seemed to be happening. I was linking to political blogs and political blogs were linking to me. After the election I got some positive feedback from close friends and family to keep it up, but the truth is I not another Kenton Ngo. I spent most of my summer studying the gay marriage issue from the state constitution and laws, to the ethical end. I'm pretty good at dissecting rhetoric and meddling around philosophical fields, but I think one of the biggest problems in political blogging is that there are too many inexperienced people writing with a false authority of the issues, and I don't want to contribute to that. If something comes up that moves me enough, I'll do my homework again and address it, but I'm not going to write about things that I don't know enough about to be trying to influence other people's view of.

So I'm still trying to figure out what this blog is going to do from this point on. The best answer that is coming to me is that I'm just going to write about whatever I feel like. I guess I've just grown to like a level of consistency in content and quality. It will probably be a little while before 2007's elections get me geared up to write about incumbent Bob Marshall



High Rotation:


Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Beck - The Information

Tom Waits - Orphans

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home