Monday, January 01, 2007

7 things most people (other than close friends) probably don't know about me

This seems fun enough. Nobody tagged me, but what the hell!

1. The earliest jobs I seriously wanted to have when I grew up in as close to chronological order as I can recall were...

A "beach bum" (according to my mom)
Painter
Marine Biologist
Gynecologist - because I wanted to deliver babies
A trip-hop artist
Filmmaker (primarily a director)
Singer songwriter

2. When Light House let me work on an independent film project, the near end result was so disturbing that Shannon Worrell apparently asked the director of my high school, Ernie Reed, if I was mentally ok. He was outraged... until he saw the film. I'm not really sure what they were expecting from a 16-year-old that had listed Blue Velvet and Jacob's Ladder as favorite films (along with other not so disturbing films like Seven Samurai) on his application, but the fallowing days of editing were hilarious in retrospective. In fairness to Light House, they were still a pretty new group and it really was a messed up little film. Her and Temple were great help and I had a lot of fun. Shannon would easily make my favorite people in C-ville list.

3. Brady Earnhart once said that some of my songs "make Bob Dylan look like a Haiku artist." Compliment or not, I consider it one of the most flattering things anyone has ever said to me.

4. Though I'm really not a programmer, I once programmed a "3-D" first-person maze in GW-BASIC. Think of the caves from the original Ultima, if you've played it.

5. I have a fear of meeting members of DMB due to the fact that every first time encounter thus far has involved some random up-close view of one of their orifices. It's a pattern I'd like to keep nipped at the bud.

6. I helped with some of the zombie and gore make-up (it was not my design though, I just put the stuff on them) for the rather Tromaesque film "Eat Me." It was a short notice situation where the director needed all the man power he could get and one of the actors new I had some background in horror (originally I was suggested to help with writing the lyrics for the musical numbers but a professional band was found to handle it). At first I was willing to also play a zombie in it as well. I hadn't been given a script or a significantly accurate summery before coming to the set. So when I was finally filled in, I every so humbly decided to turn down being in the... um... "climax" of the film, when shooting came to it. I might be visible in the far background of the rave scene though.

7. My favorite three-flavor mix of ice creams is green tea, ginger, and peanut butter.



High Rotation:

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

Duke Ellington - Mood Indigo

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

3 Comments:

Anonymous Marijean said...

Cory, I'd love to see the complete list of favorite C'ville people -- what fun! Is it OK to challenge someone to a post?

So when will you be putting your Lighthouse film on YouTube?

12:51 PM  
Blogger Cory Capron said...

Hey, glad to see ya blog is back! Couldn't get on for a while and thought it was no more.

I don't actually own a copy of my short film "Lost in Rage." I never got around to picking it up. It was kind of a labor of sanity. Things were going on in my life that I didn't want to deal with, so I poured myself into the project long after I should have realized I wasn't quite working. As a result, I think people thought the film was reflecting my life in some way. It wasn't. I was just trying to fit a 90 minute story into a 6 minute film while under a lot of emotional stress. While I learned a lot of tricks I'd like to use some day if filmmaking comes back into my interest. I have no ambition to get that film to see the light of day.

Favorite C'ville people list huh? Tough one. I'd be afraid of leaving someone out. And EXACTLY what defines someone as C'ville people? Some people just are without question, like Gabe, Spencer, Waldo and Shannon, but where does one draw that line? I'll think about it.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous BenP said...

We wanted to let you know about a new service for all filmmakers and film students that can be seen on www.mymovienetwork.com. We would appreciate it if you did a review of our innovative services in your blog and let your readers know about our services. If you have advice or suggestions on how we can promote our service to your user community we’d love to hear it. We’re looking for advertisers and partners so feel free to contact me so we can discuss further.

About www.MyMovieNetwork.com
Launched in 2006, MyMovieNetwork is a unique online community that provides tools for filmmakers to showcase their work around the world by posting their films and portfolios as well as, learn from, network and collaborate with fellow movie makers. All members and visitors can watch, critique and rate submitted content based on its quality while at the same time enjoy the entertainment provided to them for free. MyMovieNetwork runs contests to find the best filmmakers, provides tools for scouting, blogging and linking to personal film archives. We provide affiliations for film schools and film clubs so all their members and work can congregate in one place. In addition each user can create a studio where all their films, cast and crew are associated with the studio. MyMovieNetwork community is growing so drop by and if you have a story to tell we’d love to hear from you and see your work.

Regards,
BenP

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home