Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Top Ten Favorite Whoopie Songs (in no order)

Stuck at home missing Paul and Devon play Gravity Lounge? Ya girl or boyfriend over a hundred miles away? Me too, and it sucks. But I took a break from the homework, had a Guinness and watched a so bad it was funny 50's romance flick with my folks. That was amusing.

Anyway, for everybody humming "one is the loneliest number" while sitting at the computer screen, here's something to amuse.


Top Ten Favorite Whoopie Songs (in no order)

I'm not saying they're the greatest. I'm not saying that I have, or would, or anything like that. All I'm saying is, anybody getting it on to any of these is probably getting it on right.

1. Tom Waits - San Diego Serenade

Tom may not be known for the swooning by most people these days... but he certainly has written some fine love songs over the years. This is an early one a little more on the steamy side.

2. MC5 - Let Me Try

Most underrated whoopie song EVER!!! Nuff said.

3. Massive Attack - Tear Drop

What was with the 90s and all those CGI babies?

4. Bob Dylan - Lay, Lady Lay

When most people get their neck broken in a motorcycle accident, they don't come out sounding this smooth. Bob Dylan is not most people though.

5. Stevie Wonder - I Believe (When I fall In Love With You It Will Be Forever)

Ok... the thought of someone actually getting the whoopie on to this make me giggle. It's too... um... bombastic. Just be happy I used restraint and left the Righteous Brothers out of this.

6. Bob Marley and The Wailers - Turn Your Lights Down Low

You know it.

7. Berry White - Love Serenade, Parts 1 And 2

...

...

...

Panties.

8. Tricky - Overcome

This almost did not make the list for the same reason Frank Sinatra's In The Wee Small Hours didn't make it. It's more of a total album experience than just the one song. Still I like it, and it does hold its own pretty well. Also, unlike Wee Small Hours... the idea of making the whoopie to the entire Maxinquaye album is a little troubling even if it works.

9. The Cure - Pictures Of You

An explanation doesn't feel necessary. It's just a great song.

10. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Little Wing

I hesitated listing this one. As soon as I typed it the whole can of 60s psychedelic worms busted open. Janis, The Animals, Muddy Waters (revival)... its treacherous waters, but damn it, this is still a pretty hot song and the list has to end somewhere.


Ok, I showed ya mine, now you show me yours.

Happy Singles Appreciation Day!

2 Comments:

Blogger jocelyn said...

Bob Dylan's voice would put any sane person out of the mood.

The Ministry version of Lay, Lady, Lay, however, is prime whoopie material. Al Jourgensen is a sexy, sexy piece of man-flesh. His mechanized trash compacting scream awakens the primal love beast in all of us.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Cory Capron said...

Bob Dylan's voice would put any sane person out of the mood.

Bah. He's not got the sweetest voice, and I could think of more than a few songs where I'd agree, but ain't nothing wrong with Lay, Lady, Lay. It's that kinda sleepy snow day whoopie music you would find in a Cameron Crowe film if he'd been watching Breathless a lot.

It is best listened to on either a sexy stereo system or on vinyl cranked up loud in another room with the door between open.

(Ok... this is what Light House and that month of editing and scoring has done to me!)

As for mechanized trash compacting screams, that sounds a bit more like fucking music. Ain't nothing wrong with that, but this is a woopie list. Still, I'll see if I can hunt it down. Thanks.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home