Saturday, July 07, 2007

Why no love for Kyoto?

Kyoto is becoming one of my favorite little restaurants in Charlottesville. It's a nice mom and pop place with good soft shell crab that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I've only been a couple times but haven't had anything yet that wasn't good. Are there better Japanese restaurants in town? Sure. The fact that it tries to serve both Japanese and Chinese food almost guarantees that, by the rule that the fewer dishes you serve, the better they are. But the food is perfectly good and the environment pleasant.

So why am I apparently the only one that goes there? Twice in a row I've gone around twelve and was either the only one eating or close enough.

My best guesses:

1. People think Japanese is expensive.

Sure, steak houses are expensive, but Kyoto ranges between $6.00 and maybe as much as $20.00 for the most expensive dish, but the highest I actually remember was about $14.50 on the lunch menu and I haven't been their for dinner. The crab was $7.95, which is almost scary cheap for soft shell crab. Nothing touched the $30.00 to $50.00 ranges of a steak house.

2. It's next to The Lime Leaf.

I love The Lime Leaf. It is arguably the best Thai restaurant in town. Some will say that Thai 99 is better, but how I see it is if Thai food were coffee, Thai 99 would be The Mud Mouse and The Lime Leaf would be Higher Grounds (back in the 90s through early 00s that is). Higher Grounds always had the best coffee, but The Mud House comes in second only by a hair and is a nicer place to sit down and enjoy your jo at. As a result, when most people are in the shopping center and well like eating Asian food, they go to Lime Leaf.

As a result, Kyoto hasn't seen much business when I've been there. When we walk in, theres this vibe of, "Oh! A customer!" Maybe Dinner is more their thing. I don't know. I'm not saying they are the greatest thing in the world and you *best attempt at a posh new yorker stereotypical accent* SIMPLY MUST go there. I'd hate to see them go though.

Check 'em out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home